Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Big Pill, Send Water

German theologian-pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer was executed for opposing the Nazi regime. Here is what he had to say about his enemy:

"Nothing that we despise in the other man is entirely absent from ourselves. We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or don't do, and more in the light of what they suffer."

I don't want these words to be true, but something about looking in the mirror tells me they are. AND I have this weird tendency to WANT my enemies to suffer. At least he said that what I despise in another is not "entirely absent" in me, as though I am bad, too, but not THAT bad.  Of course, he could have left us with an even worse pill to swallow, like Jesus did, and reminded us to actually LOVE our enemies. Something about "regard" seems easier than "love" but I guess it's a start.


Warm regards...just kidding, Much LOVE,
Kim

PS - I'd love to hear your inspiration on this subject.

1 comment:

  1. Those words are painful but true... "Nothing that we despise in the other man is entirely absent from ourselves" -It makes you think twice about cop'n an attitude with someone u thinks a little unpleasant... maybe we aren't so pleasant ourselves... huh! thanks for the thinkin words! :-) your wisdom and insight is much appreciated!

    Love in Christ,
    Amanda Dawn, Trevecca student

    ReplyDelete