Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Ant and the Question

Evil, that which some personify as Satan, wants no questions asked. You would think he, it, would like our tough unanswerable questions. You would think it would be a leg up for evil that God has left so many things in the mystery. Faith is full of gaping holes. Intellectually, emotionally, biologically, every -ly there is only goes so far with sure answers before you have to shrug your shoulders and say, "I don't know."

It is God who loves questions.

"Bring it on!" the Bible declares on God's behalf from start to finish. "Bring on the questions." Of course, there is always a bottomless bottom line you discover but can't reach with every interrogation of the Holy. "I will be that which I will be," God says. "I AM that I AM."

Sometimes I AM not satisfied with that answer and I feel brave like Job, loved enough to get dangerous. To me questions are risky; to God I must look like a tiny ant trying to sneak off with a loaf of bread a trillion times bigger than me.

I think this little ant will never stop asking and seeking. Life is one big inquisitive picnic.

How about this one? Why are we here? The answer? To love. I think for today I'll just try to keep it that simple.

2 comments:

  1. The mystery is the most comforting part. Thank God our God is that big. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...wonderful words to sit back and "chew on"....

    ReplyDelete