Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Little Poetic Thought or Two about Motherhood

I don't know why there are so many dividing lines.
I, for example, am supposed to be "the mom." This in and of itself is a dividing line. I was supposed to step back when they were old enough to have new heros. Don't hurt, don't think, don't feel.
Sorry, I do all those things. I still remember day one.
I had expectations of sentimentality. I did not ruin them. Neither did my children. It was the ones who wanted what we had. The childless mothers, the angry ones, the greedy ones, the ones who perceived our vulnerabilities and came in for the kill.
They didn't win, though, and we are not ruined. I may not be a hero, but my love has not changed. It will never change. Neither did my children's.

I know way too much. Mom's always do.

1 comment: